The LaPierre Lane Riverway in the Town of Plattsburgh was designed to improve public access to the Saranac River and provide residents and visitors with the opportunity to relax, play, exercise, and learn in a scenic waterfront setting. These improvements are the first implementation of the Lake Champlain & Saranac River Waterfront Plan developed by Laberge Group in partnership with Elan Planning.
This vibrant public space offers enticements and activities for visitors of all ages and interests, including the following features:
- Boardwalk and nature interpretive trail
- Series of play features and a nature-inspired adventure playground
- Healing and meditative space
- Adult exercise area
- Riverside picnic area
- Naturalized kayak/canoe launch
This exciting project is an important first step of an extensive waterfront plan designed to:
- Revitalize the waterfront and encouraging public use of the space
- Increase recreational opportunities that will enhance the lifestyle of residents and encourage long-term residency
- Spur economic growth in adjacent hamlets
- Actively protect this vital natural resource
Laberge Group spearheaded a public outreach program to actively engage property owners and key stakeholders in the development of the Waterfront Plan. The inclusive process culminated in a multi-day public design charrette that featured a public information presentation, a facilitated open discussion, stakeholder interviews, and small-group hands-on design sessions. This collaboration was an essential component in building the capacity and community support needed to implement the vision of the plan and develop this dynamic public space.