Laberge Group was retained by the Capital District Transportation Committee (CDTC) to develop a Town Center Plan for the Town of Schodack. The purpose of this planning study is to develop an environmentally sustainable town center plan within the framework of an open, participatory public process. The study:
- Defined the concept of a Town Center tailored to the Town of Schodack’s Route 9/20 corridor. This was done in collaboration with town residents, the business community, and other traditional and non-traditional stakeholders.
- Established a revitalization plan for the corridor, including new sustainable economic development opportunities. The plan included a balanced mix of land uses that preserves the town’s rural character and rustic charm, creating a framework for a ‘live, work and play community.’
- Developed access management strategies through “Complete Street” solutions to preserve arterial function and enhance multi-modal accessibility by minimizing driveway conflicts and identifying new cross-parcel and street connections where possible.
- Provided example zoning language and example design guidelines.
- Prepared a generalized implementation strategy that included short and long-term recommendations; generalized costs of improvements; and possible funding sources.
The resulting strategies provide local government, businesses, and citizens with a guide for future decisions and will have a positive impact on the local economy.