The Town of Sand Lake has taken the initiative to benefit their residents by proactively protecting the lakes and streams in their community from potential pollutants in stormwater runoff. The Town engaged Laberge Group to ensure compliance with Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) requirements, which are designed to minimize pollutants in stormwater runoff that would otherwise enter waterways.
Having managed MS4 compliance initiatives for multiple communities, Laberge Group’s engineers have an extensive knowledge-base to draw on, allowing them to proactively identify and address potential challenges and provide a smooth execution of this multi-faceted process.
Laberge Group tailored a program to meet the Town’s specific needs, including:
- Reviewing documentation of previous MS4 activities and preparing the required annual report.
- Facilitating a public meeting to increase understanding of this highly technical initiative, underscore its benefits to the community, and encourage public participation.
- Evaluating current Minimum Control Measures (MCM) goals, determining the effectiveness in meeting those goals, and recommending modifications for the next reporting period. Recommendations include increasing self-assessment of municipal facilities and expanding storm system outfall mapping, which will enable the town to quickly identify and eliminate illicit discharges.
Laberge Group will provide future assistance that will include:
- Conducting self-assessments of all municipal facilities with the potential for pollutants to be exposed to stormwater runoff as required by the MS4 General Permit.
- Reviewing the Town’s Storm Water Management Plan, preparing specific implementation procedures for the plan, and developing standards for tracking implementation activities.
- Providing Construction Site Runoff Control oversight assistance.
In addition, Laberge Group’s multi-disciplinary team of engineers and community development specialists are collaborating to apply for grant assistance to fund additional illicit discharge detection and elimination projects, which is an essential component of protecting local waterways.
As the project progresses, Laberge Group will continue to identify areas for improvement, recommend solutions, and develop procedures that will empower the Town of Sand Lake to provide stronger protection of their cherished streams and lakes.
To learn how Laberge Group can assist you in navigating MS4 compliance and protect the waterways in your community, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Benjamin Syden, AICP, Vice President at 518-458-7112 for a free, no obligation consultation!